Center for Global Health Faculty
Director, Center for Infection and Inflammation Imaging Research
CRB-II Buliding, Rm 109
1550 Orleans St, Baltimore, MD 21287
Research and Professional Experience
I am a Pediatrician and a Pediatric Infectious Diseases specialist at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center. My research interests include pathogenesis of TB disease, especially related to children - including central nervous system TB. I am also interested in developing novel, and optimizing current diagnostics for the diagnosis of TB in young children. This includes development of imaging technologies for evaluation of TB disease in animal models and human beings.
tuberculosis, pediatrics, children, pathogenesis, imaging, central nervous system, mycobacteria
Honors and Awards
NIH Director’s New Innovator Award 2009
Named amongst the Maryland’s Innovator of the Year, The Daily Record 2008
Named amongst the Best and the Brightest 2007, Esquire Magazine Dec 2007
Clinician Scientist Award, Johns Hopkins University 2005-07
Program Choice Award at the IDSA 2005
Bill and Melinda Gates' Foundation Education scholarship. Tuberculosis: Integrating Host and Pathogen Biology 2005
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society Award at the IDSA 2005
IDSA Special citation for fellow-in-training 2005
Fellows Travel Award at the IDSA 2005
American Pediatric Society & Society for Pediatric Research. Young Investigator’s Travel Award 2005
Baurenschmidt Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2003-04
- Be NA, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Role of Mycobacterium tuberculosis pknD in the Pathogenesis of Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. BMC Microbiol. 2012, 12:7. Highly accessed.
- Harper J, Skerry C, Davis SL, Tasneen R, Weir W, Kramnik I, Bishai WR, Pomper MG, Nuermberger EL, Jain SK. Mouse model of necrotic TB granulomas develops hypoxic lesions. J Infect Dis. 2012 Feb;205(4):595-602. Epub 2011 Dec 23.
- Be NA, Klinkenberg LG, Bishai WR, Karakousis PK, Jain SK. Strain-dependent CNS dissemination in guinea pigs after Mycobacterium tuberculosis aerosol challenge. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2011 Sep;91(5):386-9.
- Vidal C, Beggs D, Younes L, Jain SK, Jedynak B. Incorporating user input in template-based segmentation. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Images 2011.
- Dutta NK, Mehra S, Didier PJ, Roy CJ, Doyle LA, Alvarez X, Ratterree M, Be NA, Lamichhane G, Jain SK, Lacey MR, Lackner AA, Kaushal D. Genetic requirements for the survival of tubercle bacilli in primates. J Infect Dis. 2010 Jun 1;201(11):1743-52.
- Davis SL, Be NA, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, Pomper MG, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Bacterial Thymidine Kinase as a Non-Invasive Imaging Reporter for Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Live Animals. PLoS ONE 2009 4(7): e6297. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006297.
- Vidal C, Hewitt J, Davis S, Younes L, Jain S, Jedynak B. Template Registration with missing parts: Application to the Segmentation of Tuberculosis infected lungs. Proceedings of the IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Images 2009:718-721.
- Be N, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Pathogenesis of Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. Curr Mol Med. 2009 Mar;9(2):94-9.
- Converse PJ, Karakousis PC, Klinkenberg KC, Kesavan AK, Ly LH, Allen SS, Grosset JH, Jain SK, Lamichhane G, Manabe YC, McMurray DN, Nuermberger EL, Bishai WR. The role of the dosR/dosS two-component regulatory system in Mycobacterium tuberculosis virulence in three animal models. Infect Immun. 2009 Mar;77(3):1230-7.
- Be N, Lamichhane G, Grosset J, Tyagi S, Cheng Q, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Cover Page picture. J Infect Dis. 2008 Nov 15;198(10).
- Be N, Lamichhane G, Grosset J, Tyagi S, Cheng Q, Kim KS, Bishai WR, Jain SK. Murine model to study Invasion and Survival of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the Central Nervous System. J Infect Dis. 2008 Nov 15;198(10):1520-8.
- Agwu AL, Lee CK, Jain SK, Murray KL, Topolski J, Miller, RE, Townsend T, Lehmann CU. A World Wide Web-based antimicrobial stewardship program improves efficiency, communication, and user satisfaction and reduces cost in a tertiary care pediatric medical center. Clin Infect Dis. 2008 Sep 15;47(6):747-53.
- Jain SK, Lamichhane G, Nimmagadda S, Pomper M, Bishai WR. Antibiotic Treatment of Tuberculosis: Old Problems, New Solutions. Microbe 2008 Jun; 3(6): 285-92.
- Jain SK, Hernandez-Abanto S, Cheng Q, Singh P, Ly LH, Klinkenberg G, Morrison NE, Converse PJ, Nuermberger E, Grosset J, McMurray DN, Karakousis PC, Lamichhane G, Bishai WR. Accelerated detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis genes essential for bacterial survival in guinea pigs compared with mice. J Infect Dis. 2007 Jun 1;195(11):1634-42.
- Hernandez-Abanto S, Woolwine SC, Jain SK, Bishai WR. Tetracycline-inducible gene expression in mycobacteria within an animal host using Streptomyces-derived tetO and tetR regulatory elements. Arch Microbiol. 2006 Dec;186(6):459-64.
- Jain SK, Bishai WR. Adherence, treatment success, and resistance. Infect Dis Clin Pract. 2006 July 14(4) Supplement 4:S15-S18.
- Jain SK, Paul-Satyaseela M, Lamichhane G, Kim KS, Bishai WR. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Invasion and Traversal across an In Vitro Human Blood-Brain Barrier as a Pathogenic Mechanism for Central Nervous System Tuberculosis. J Infect Dis. 2006 May 1;193(9):1287-95.
- Bhally HS, Jain S, Shields C, Halsey N, Cristofalo E, Merz WG. Infection in a neonate caused by Pichia fabianii: importance of molecular identification. Med Mycol. 2006 Mar;44(2):185-7.
- Jain SK, Tunkel DE, Bishai WR. Management of Acute Rhinosinusitis, Bronchitis Syndromes, and Acute Otitis Media. Adv Stud Med. 2005; 5(7):344-350.
- Jain SK, Kwon P, Moss WJ. Management and outcomes of intracranial tuberculomas developing during antituberculous therapy: case report and review. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2005 Jun;44(5):443-50.
- Jain SK, Persaud D, Perl TM, Pass MA, Murphy KM, Pisciotta JM, Scholl PF, Casella JF, Sullivan DJ. Nosocomial Malaria and Saline Flush. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005 July;11(7):1097-99.
- Jain SK, Gupta A, Glanz B, Dick J, Siberry GK. Antimicrobial-resistant Shigella sonnei: Limited antimicrobial treatment options for children and challenges of interpreting in vitro azithromycin susceptibility. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005 Jun;24(6):494-497.
- Jain SK. Index of suspicion. Case 3. Diagnosis: Jaundice. Pediatr Rev. 2001 Aug;22(8):271-6. 20. Jain SK, Deepak KK. Cost Effective Computerized Analysis of Biological Signals. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1995; 39(4): 389-394.
Novel imaging biomarkers to address fundamental controversies in TB pathogenesis