Center for Global Health Faculty
Deputy Director, Center for Clinical Global Health Education
600 North Wolfe Street, Phipps 540
Baltimore, MD 21287
Research and Professional Experience
Dr. Amita Gupta, Deputy Director of the Johns Hopkins University (JHU) Center for Clinical Global Health Education (CCGHE), is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases (Primary appointment) and Associate Professor of International Health (joint appointment) at JHU. Born to Indian parents, she grew up in the United States, England and France. She completed her undergrad education at internal medicine training at San Francisco General Hospital-University of California San Francisco General Hospital-University of California San Francisco. She was an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer focusing on global foodborne and diarrheal diseases epidemiology at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) before completing an infectious diseases fellowship at JHU.
During her years of training, Dr. Gupta worked internationally including Guatemala, Vietnam, Micronesia and India. Dr. Gupta is an infectious diseases and HIV clinician at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Dr. Gupta is the PI of the JHU-BJMC HIV Clinical Trials Unit in Pune, India. She is an active clinical investigator in Multi-country HIV trials conducted by the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG). HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) and International Material Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Trials Network (IMPAACT) focusing on prevent and care of HIV, TB and other co-morbidities and treatment outcomes in adults, including pregnant women, and children residing in low-income settings. She is currently Vice-Chair elect of the IMPAACT TB Scientific Committee.
As Deputy Director of the JHU CCGHE, Dr. Gupta is working with a terrific team to develop research capacity and clinical care training in resource-limited regions of the world.
HIV in India, MTCT, care and treatment, drug resistance, HIV/TB in pregnant women, nutritional status and HIV outcomes, HIV clinical trials in resource-constrained settings
Honors and Awards
Mackel Finalist, EIS Conference 2002 U.S. Public Health Service Award for Foreign Duty Service (cholera in Micronesia), 2002 U.S. Public Health Service Award for Bioterrorism surveillance post 9/11, 2002 IDSA Special Citation for Fellows-in-Training, 2001 Reza Gandeji Award (UCSF resident award for medical ethics and compassionate patient care), 2000 Paul Dudley White & Andrew Sellard Traveling Fellowship, 1996 Harvard Medical School Urban Health Fellowship, 1993 Sigma Xi Research Honor Society, 1991 MIT Student Humanitarian Award, 1991 MIT Women Studies Writing Prize “Women and AIDS in the United States: Unheard Voices,” 19912
Selected Publications from the last 5 years:
- Polis C, Shah S, Johnson K, Gupta A. Impact of maternal HIV co-infection on the vertical transmission of Hepatitis C virus: a meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44(8) 1123-31.
- Shah B, Walshe L, Saple DG, Ramini R, Kharkar S, Bollinger RC, Gupta A. Adherence to antiretroviral therapy and virologic suppression among HIV-infected persons receiving care in private clinics in Mumbai, India. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44(9)1235-44.
- Gupta A, Nayak U, Ram M, Bhosale R, Patil S, Basavraj A, Kakrani A, Phillip S, Desai D, Sastry J, Bollinger R, for the Byramji Jeejeebhoy Medical College-Johns Hopkins University Study Group. Post-partum TB incidence and mortality among HIV-infected women and their infants in Pune, India 2002-2005. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 45:241-9.
- Six Week Extended-Dose Nevirapine (SWEN) Study Team, Bedri A, Gudetta B, Isehak A, Kumbi S, Lulseged S, Mengistu Y, Bhore AV, Bhosale R, Varadhrajan V, Gupte N, Sastry J, Suryavanshi N, Tripathy S, Mmiro F, Mubiru M, Onyango C, Taylor A, Musoke P, Nakabiito C, Abashawl A, Adamu R, Antelman G, Bollinger RC, Bright P, Chaudhary MA, Coberly J, Guay L, Fowler MG, Gupta A, Hassen E, Jackson JB, Moulton LH, Nayak U, Omer SB, Propper L, Ram M, Rexroad V, Ruff AJ, Shankar A, Zwerski S. Extended-dose nevirapine to 6 weeks of age for infants to prevent HIV transmission via breastfeeding in Ethiopia, India, and Uganda: an analysis of three randomized controlled trials. Lancet 2008; 372(9635):300-13.
- Moorthy A, Gupta A, Bhosale R, Tripathy S, Sastry J, Kulkarni S, Thakar M, Bharadwaj R, Kagal A, Bhore AV, Patil S, Kulkarni V, Varadharajan V, Balasubramaniam U, Suryavanshi N, Ziemniak C, Gupte N, Bollinger R, Persaud D. Nevirapine resistance and breast-milk HIV transmission: effects of single and extended-dose nevirapine prophylaxis in subtype C HIV-infected infants. PLoS One 2009:4(1):e4096. PMCID:PMC2606064.
- Marais B, Gupta A, Starke JR, El Sony A. Tuberculosis in women and children. Lancet 2010; 375(9731): 2057-9.
- Gupta A, Sane S, Gurbani A, Bollinger, RC, Mehendale S, Godbole S. Stigmatizing attitudes and low levels of knowledge but high willingness to participate in HIV management: A community based survey of pharmacies in Pune, India. BMC Public Health 2010; 10:517. PMCID: PMC2939646.
- Gupta A, Bhosale R, Kinikar A, Gupte N, Bharadwaj R, Kagal A, Joshi S, Khandekhar M, Karmarkar A, Kulkarni V, Sastry J, Mave V, Suryavanshi N, Thakar M, Kulkarni S, Tripathy S, Sambarey P, Patil S, Paranjape R, Bollinger RC and Jamkar A, for the SWEN India Study Team. Maternal tuberculosis: a risk factor for HIV mother-to-child transmission. J Infect Dis 2011; 203(3):358-62. PMCID:PMC3071111.
- Six Week Extended-Dose Nevirapine (SWEN) Study Team, Bedri A, Gudetta B, Isehak A, Kumbi S, Lulseged S, Mengistu Y, Bhore AV, Bhosale R, Varadhrajan V, Gupte N, Sastry J, Suryavanshi N, Tripathy S, Mmiro F, Mubiru M, Onyango C, Taylor A, Musoke P, Nakabiito C, Abashawl A, Adamu R, Antelman G, Bollinger RC, Bright P, Chaudhary MA, Coberly J, Guay L, Fowler MG, Gupta A, Hassen E, Jackson JB, Moulton LH, Nayak U, Omer SB, Propper L, Ram M, Rexroad V, Ruff AJ, Shankar A, Zwerski S. 12 month follow-up of SWEN RCTs: Differential impact of extended-dose nevirapine on MTCT and infant death by maternal CD4 cell count. AIDS 2011; 25:767-76.
- Singh HK, Gupte N, Kinikar A, Bharadwaj R, Sastry J, Suryavanshi N, Nayak U, Tripathy S, Paranjape R, Jamkar A, Bollinger RC, Gupta A and the SWEN India Study Team. High rates of all-cause and gastroenteritis-related hospitalization morbidity and mortality among HIV-exposed Indian infants. BMC Infect Dis 2011 Jul; 11(1):193. PMCID:PMC3161884.
- Cohen MS, Chen YQ, McCauley M, Gamble T, Hosseinipour MC, Kumarasamy N, Hakim JG, Kumwenda J, Grinsztejn B, Pilotto JH, Godbole SV, Mehendale S, Chariyalertsak S, Santos BR, Mayer KH, Hoffman IF, Eshleman SH, Piwowar-Manning E, Wang L, Makhema J, Mills LA, de Bruyn G, Sanne I, Eron J, Gallant J, Havlir D, Swindells S, Ribaudo H, Elharrar V, Burns D, Taha TE, Nielsen-Saines K, Celentano D, Essex M, Fleming TR; HPTN 052 Study Team. Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 2011 Aug; 365(6):493-505. PMCID: PMC3200068
- Gupta A, Chandrasekhar A, Gupte N, Patil S, Bhosale R, Sambarey P, Ghorpade S, Nayak U, Garde L, Sastry J, Bharadwaj R, Bollinger RC on behalf of the BJ Medical College-Johns Hopkins University Study Group. Symptom screening among HIV-infected pregnant women is acceptable and has high negative predictive value for active tuberculosis. Clin Infect Dis 2011 Nov; 52(10):1015-8. PMCID: PMC193828
- Gupta A, Nadkarni N, Yang W-T, Chandrasekhar A, Gupte N, Bisson GP, Hosseinipour M, Gummadi N. Early mortality in adults initiating antiretroviral therapy (ART) in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC): a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE Dec 2011; 6(12):e28691. PMCID: PMC3248405
- Chandrasekhar A, Gupta A. Nutrition and disease progression pre- highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) and post-HAART: Can good nutrition delay time to HAART and affect response to HAART? Invited Review Am J Clin Nutr 2011 Dec; 94(6):1703S-15S. PMCID: PMC3226023
- Sahastrabudddhe S, Gupta A, Stuart EA, Godbole S, Ghate M, Sahay S, Gangakhedkar R, Risbud A, Divekar A, Bollinger R, Mehendale SM. Sexually transmitted infections and risk behaviors among transgender persons (Hijras) of Pune, India. J Acquir Immun Def Syndr 2012 Jan; 50(1):72-8.
- Dooley KE, Park J-G, Swindells S, Allen R, Haas DW, Aweeka F, Gupta A, Lizak P, Qasba S, Cramer Y, van Heeswijk R, Flexner C. Safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetic interactions between single-dose TMC207 and steady-state efavirenz in healthy volunteers: AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2012 Apr; 15; 59(5):455-62. PMCID: PMC3302922
- Mave V, Shere D, Gupte N, Suryavanshi N, Kulkarni V, Patil S, Khandekar M, Kinikar A, Bharadwaj R, Bhosale R, Sambarey P, Chandanwale A, Bollinger R, Gupta A. Vitamin D deficiency is common among HIV-infected breastfeeding mothers in Pune, India, but not associated with mother-to-child HIV transmission. HIV Clin Trials (Accepted for publication, March 2012)
- Mave V, Gupte N, Suryavanshi N, Kulkarni V, Balasubramanian U, Jadhav A, Bhattacharya D, Patil S, Khandekar M, Paranjape R, Tripathy S, Kinikar A, Bharadwaj R, Bhosale RA, Sambarey P, Jamkar A, Sastry J, Bollinger RC, Gupta A for the SWEN India Study team. Hepatitis B virus infection among HIV-infected breastfeeding mothers in Pune, India and its Impact on infant morbidity and mortality. (Submitted JAIDS April 2011)
- Balagopal A, Gama L, Franco V, Russell JN, Smeaton LM, Clements JE, Thomas DL, Gupta A. Detection of microbial translocation in HIV and SIV infection using the limulus amebocyte lysate assay is masked by serum and plasma. (Submitted PLoS ONE June 2011)
- Ram M, Gupte N, Nayak U, Kinikar A, Khandave M, Shankar A, Sastry J, Bollinger R, Gupta A. Growth patterns among HIV-exposed infants receiving nevirapine prophylaxis in Pune, India. (Submitted BioMed Central Infect Dis December 2011)
- Gounder CR, Yang W-T, Chandrasekhar A, Pereira AD, De Neve, JW, Gummadi N, Samanta S, Gupta A. Sex-related barriers to accessing tuberculosis diagnostic and treatment services: a systematic review of quantitative and qualitative studies. (Submitted Int J Tuber Lung Dis)
- Pradhan N, Desai S, Kagal A, Dharmashale S, Bharadwaj R, Ghorpade S, Gaikwad S, Kulkarni V, Gupte N, Bollinger RC , Gupta A, Mave V. Patterns of tuberculosis drug-resistance in a tertiary care facility, Pune, India. (Submitted National Med J India May 2012)
- Mathad J, Gupta A. Tuberculosis in pregnancy. (Provisionally accepted Clin Infect Dis, Invited review).
- Swindells S, Komarow L, Tripathy S, Cain KP, MacGregor RR, Achkar JM, Gupta A, Velosa VG, Asmelash A, Omoz-Oarhe AE, Gengiah S, Lalloo U, Allen R, Shiboski C, Anderson J, Qasba SS, Katzenstein DK for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5253 Study Team. Sensitivity and Specificity of Pulmonary Tuberculosis Screening and Diagnostics in HIV-Infected Individuals: AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol A5253. (Submitted JAIDS)